The Darley Park Weekender returns with concert classics, 80s beats and IBIZA sounds
The Darley Park Weekender returns this August bank holiday with a mix of music and family events. After a successful first year hosting three days of family entertainment, the beautiful surroundings and natural amphitheatre of Darley Park will again host a weekend of music for everyone to enjoy.
Family and friends can expect a weekend to remember, so grab your deckchair, picnic blankets and refreshments to join the party of the summer.
A brand-new highlight, following last year’s hugely successful line up is the brand-new event of 80s Mixtape. The new addition which is planned to become a regular at the Weekender will lead you on trip down memory lane, as some of the icons which helped define the sound of the era take to the stage.
Councillor Ross McCristal, Derby City Council’s Cabinet Member for Leisure, Culture, Tourism and Wellbeing, said:
“This year’s Darley Park Weekender promises to be something really special. After the success of the event last year, I am delighted to welcome it back.”
“With a range of events suitable for everyone to enjoy, this weekend really adds to the city’s cultural offer and will make Darley Park the place to be this August Bank Holiday.
1. Kickstarting the weekend on Friday 26 August is the return of Classic Ibiza, a celebration of the sounds of the Balearics.
- Gates open at 4pm and the evening starts with a Chill-Out DJ Set at 6pm-7:45pm performed by former Pacha Ibiza resident, Jose Luis. The Urban Soul Orchestra (USO), and DJ Goldierocks AKA Sam Povey, who has played exclusively for big names such as Madonna and Giorgio Armani, will take to the stage for the Sundowner Set at 7:45pm-8:45pm. Then after a half hour interval Goldierocks performs her very own House DJ Set at 9:15pm, before she is re-joined on stage by USO for the Dance Set and laser light show which will conclude at 10:35pm.
- Secure an early bird ticket at £30 per adult, £20 for children aged 5-16 and under 5s are free until Saturday 30 April 2022. From Sunday 1 May until Thursday 25 August prices are £35 per adult, £20 for ages 5-16 with under 5s free. Buy on the day, Friday 26 August at £40 per adult, £25 for ages 5-16 and free for under 5s.
2. On Saturday 27 August let us take you back to the 80s with 80s Mix Tape a night of nostalgia with 80s icons Carol Decker, Nik Kershaw and DJ Pat Sharpe.
- Gates open at 4pm and from 4:30pm – 5:30pm, local band Cassette Roulette will open the night with a mix of old favourites followed by hand-picked members of 80s Mania, the biggest 80s tribute band, in The 80s Reunion at 6pm – 6:30pm performing back-to-back upbeat 80s party classics from Madonna, Duran Duran, The Human League, Spandau Ballet, Eurythmics, and more. The night will continue from 6.45pm – 7:15pm with music from 80s singer Carol Decker, best known as the lead singer of pop-rock band T’Pau who scored international success in the late 80s with the hit China in Your Hand.
- There will also be music from singer, song writer, musician and record producer Nik Kershaw from 7:30pm-8:45pm including top 40 hits such as Wouldn’t It Be Good, I Won’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me and The Riddle.Closing the night is 80s DJ Pat Sharp from 9pm-10:30pm with a mix of 80s songs to keep you dancing! With almost four decades of live TV, radio and hosting experience, Pat still attracts more and more new fans both old and young alike and has tens of thousands of social media followers.
- Early bird tickets are available now until Saturday 30 April at £20 for adults, £15 for children aged 5-16 and free for under 5s. From Sunday 1 May until Friday 26 August ticket prices are £22.50 for adults, £15 for children aged 5-16 and under 5s are free. And on the day prices are £25 per adult, £20 for ages 5-16 and under 5s remain free.
3. To end a fantastic weekend of entertainment The Darley Park Concert returns on Sunday 28 August where we will be celebrating a year of anniversaries from the Queen’s Jubilee to Sinfonia Viva’s 40th with music from the Queen’s Coronation, the Royal Fireworks and much more. Gates open at 2PM.
- Tickets are on sale now for just £4 for adults and £1 for under 16s when you book before 31 July. After this, tickets will cost £6 for adults and £3.50 for under 16s when booked in advance until the day before the concert. On the day, tickets will cost from £8.50 for adults and £3.50 for under 16s, so a family of 2 adults and 2 children under 16 can make huge savings by booking early. For more details, see www.derbylive.co.uk.
Book tickets for all events online at derbylive.co.uk or call our Sales and Information Centre on 01332 255800. You can also book and save with the Derby LIVE saver ticket deal – book all 3 and save 15% or 2 and save 10%. This great offer can also be booked alongside your tickets for this year’s Pantomime: Aladdin – buy all 4 events and save 20%.
There will be an accessible viewing area located just off centre of the stage for each event taking place at this year’s Darley Park Weekender along with a British Sign Language interpreter will also be stationed in front of this area and so, if you would like to make use of this facility, we advise you sit in the Accessible Viewing Area.
All events will be run in line with the guidelines in place for live outdoor entertainment following the COVID pandemic.