Enjoying Derby's parks during the new restrictions
As the new national restrictions around COVID-19 come into effect, the team at Derby Parks hope the public will continue to enjoy the city’s parks and open spaces for exercise and mental wellbeing, just as they did during the spring lockdown.
Derby has around 400 parks and open spaces, and there is much to discover at this time of year. We remind you to follow the new guidance and visit only with members of your own household, or to meet with just one other person from outside your household if you are alone. Remember to follow social distancing at all times, and please help us to keep the parks attractive for everyone by taking your litter home with you.
In line with Government guidelines there will be changes to some of the activities available. Cafés will stay open, but will offer a takeaway service only. Opening times may vary depending on the weather:
- The Orangery at Markeaton Park Craft Village – Open Monday to Friday 9.30am - 3.30pm, weekends 9.30am - 4pm.
- Chaddesden Park – Open weekends only 10am - 4pm.
- The Waterside Café at Alvaston Park – Open Monday to Friday 10am -3.30pm, weekends 9.30am - 4pm.
The Ice Cream and Pizza Kiosk at Mundy Play Centre, Markeaton Park is now closed until February half term.
Toilets will be open at:
- Markeaton Park 10am – 4pm
- Alvaston Park 10am - 3pm weekdays, 10am – 4pm weekends
- Chaddesden Park 11am - 4pm, weekends only
- Darley Park 10am – 3pm
Children’s play areas will be open in line with the new restrictions, but visitors must follow this guidance:
- Please do not visit the park if anyone in your family has symptoms of the virus.
- Every play area will have signs showing how many children are allowed to play there at any one time. Please respect this.
- Continue to follow safe social distancing of at least two metres where possible. Encourage your child to do the same.
- Some facilities may remain closed if there isn’t enough room for safe social distancing.
- Wash your hands before leaving the house and when you get back home. At the park, use hand sanitiser regularly, and especially before and after eating, and after touching shared surfaces such as gates, railings, climbing frames etc.
- Bring wipes to clean the areas of play equipment that children are most likely to touch, such as the handles on see seesaws, bars on climbing frames, etc.
- Discourage children from putting their hands in their mouths after playing, and from putting their mouths on the play equipment.
The following facilities are closed in line with government guidelines:
- Skateparks and BMX tracks
- Outdoor Gyms
- Tennis Courts
- Multi-use games areas
All community centres are closed, except for existing bookings that are exempt activities.
For more guidance on the use of facilities in parks and open spaces, please visit the Government website: gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-
Further updates will be put on the Derby Parks website at inderby.org.uk/parks