remark is recruiting 10 participants to join a new visual art writers' group
remark is a collaboration between ArtReview magazine, BACKLIT gallery, Nottspoke writing collective, University of Nottingham and Nottingham Trent University, with support from Quad and Nottingham Contemporary. While the East Midlands region has a large community of public venues, commercial galleries and artist-run and non-profit spaces, regular critical coverage of these spaces and their programmes is limited. Meanwhile, the few outlets for arts coverage limit opportunities for the professional development of young and emerging writers working in the region.
Launching in March 2020, remark is an online publication and series of professional development workshops which will mentor new visual arts writers based in the East Midlands. For six months from March, remark will publish reviews and previews of exhibitions and events happening across the East Midlands region, written by two groups of writers – those with previous publishing experience and new, unpublished writers.
Working with BACKLIT and ArtReview’s editorial staff, these writers will see their reviews published on an ArtReview-hosted microsite (artreview.com/remark) and a dedicated bimonthly newsletter promoted by ArtReview, BACKLIT and project partners.
As part of the remark mentoring scheme, new writers’ group members will participate in a programme of 8 workshops, mentoring and direct editorial work, to develop their work for publication. Members of the new writers’ group will have the opportunity to write and publish short reviews. Details of how to join the new writers training group is below. Participation is free of charge.
- We are not expecting you to have published already – you should express an interest and enthusiasm to develop your arts writing skills
- You must be based in the East Midlands
- The majority of the training will be held in Nottingham, you must be able to travel to Nottingham (no travel expenses are available)
Training date - you must be available to attend
- First session confirmed - Wednesday 18th March 2020 (11-4pm)
- 7 further training sessions will be delivered by NTU, UON, BACKLIT and ArtReview during the months of March – July 2020 (dates TBC)
- Each session will last approx 3 – 5 hours with food and refreshments supplied (40 hours min over the period). There will be occasional social events and research activity to compliment the programme (min of 10 hours).
How to apply
- Why you want to participate, what experience you would bring to the project and your aspirations for your writing career (max 250 words)
- Write a piece of text on side art you have seen recently (max 250 words)
- Provide your name, contact email and phone number All submissions should be emailed to email@example.com
Deadline for submission is Friday 14th February 2020 at midday Applicants will be notified via email by Friday 21st February 2020
remark is funded by Arts Council England, University of Nottingham and Nottingham Trent University.